Subject: Fwd: Watch PBS Frontline tonight - Documentary on Abacus Bank
From: Kam <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 08:19:12 -0700

Hi All,

Please tune in if you're interested. It's a fascinating documentary about
the saga of the Abacus Bank in New York's Chinatown.

The makers of *Hoop Dreams* made this documentary. Please don't miss the
opportunity to watch this captivating David versus Goliath true story.

Additional info:
http://www.abacusmovie.com/
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/business/a-tiny-banks-surreal-trip-through-a-fraud-prosecution.html?mwrsm=Email
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20150624/FINANCE/306219999

Los Angeles area: KOCE Sept 12 at 10pm, Sept 13 at 3am

San Francisco area: KQED Sept 12 at 10pm, Sept 13 at 4am

San Diego area: KPBS Sept 12 at 10pm

Seattle area: KCTS9 Sept 12 at 10pm, Sept 13 at 1am

Sacramento Area: KVIE Sept 12 at 10pm

Thanks very much for your attention!

/Kam Chan (No affiliation with any of the filmmakers or characters :-)

<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=cf344ce284&e=ff605d7ab9>

*TUNE IN*

Tuesday, September 12
9PM CT/10PM ET
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=f65abff8db&e=ff605d7ab9>
*ABACUS: Small Enough to Jail*
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=a5ecacaa73&e=ff605d7ab9>
US BROADCAST PREMIERE
PBS FRONTLINE
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=d309339461&e=ff605d7ab9>
CHECK LOCAL LISTINGS
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=4a68751106&e=ff605d7ab9>
The latest film by director Steve James (*Hoop Dreams, The
Interrupters*), *ABACUS:
Small Enough to Jail*
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=9ff61003d8&e=ff605d7ab9>
 tells the incredible saga of the Chinese immigrant Sung family, owners of
Abacus Federal Savings of Chinatown, New York.
Accused of mortgage fraud by Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance,
Jr., Abacus becomes the *only* US bank to face criminal charges in the wake
of the 2008 financial crisis.
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=2b7b2e6f11&e=ff605d7ab9>
Share the broadcast on Twitter
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=dcd4513a9f&e=ff605d7ab9>
BREAKING NEWS
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=c3af8d12de&e=ff605d7ab9>
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=c4597c7a23&e=ff605d7ab9>
*Abacus *will be a feature film, directed by Justin Lin. Read more here!
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=bab2ef96d5&e=ff605d7ab9>

“This is a quintessential American story told from a point of view that is
rarely seen on screen. The Sung family’s collective act of courage needs to
be told, especially now," said Lin.
*A LOOK INSIDE THE FILM*
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=a977058923&e=ff605d7ab9>
PURCHASE ABACUS ON DVD
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=74bf7eed99&e=ff605d7ab9>
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=dc4bdf517f&e=ff605d7ab9>

Features complete Mandarin Chinese subtitles.

*Acclaim for ABACUS:
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=1894fbbe74&e=ff605d7ab9>
*

*" ★ ★ ★ ★ A legal thriller...Everyone needs to see it." *
– Matt Zoller Seitz, RogerEbert.com
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=fc6932d8ae&e=ff605d7ab9>

*"Crowd-pleasing...A classic underdog tale."*
–Ben Kenigsberg, The New York Times
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=4fc50bc972&e=ff605d7ab9>

*"A compelling non-fiction thriller." *
–Mark Jenkins, NPR
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=a699180173&e=ff605d7ab9>
*"** ★ ★ ★ ★  **Veteran documentary-maker Steve James (HOOP DREAMS) is back
with an engrossing story: the extraordinary fiasco of the Abacus bank
prosecution."*
–Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=325ab2801a&e=ff605d7ab9>
  *"** ★ ★ ★ ★  **Throughout James's scrappy story, there's a winning sense
of humor, showing the spunk of people not used to getting pushed around." *
–Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out New York
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=aeea95f32f&e=ff605d7ab9>

***WINNER** AUDIENCE AWARD*
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=df5f47eed4&e=ff605d7ab9>
2017 San Diego Asian Film Festival Showcase

***WINNER** AUDIENCE AWARD: BEST DOCUMENTARY
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=27fc1a29cb&e=ff605d7ab9>
*
2017 Sarasota Film Festival

***WINNER** BEST EDITING: FEATURE LENGTH DOCUMENTARY*
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=158eecfa03&e=ff605d7ab9>
2017 Ashland Independent Film Festival

*RUNNER UP - GROLSCH PEOPLE'S CHOICE DOCUMENTARY AWARD*
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=9d27894e78&e=ff605d7ab9>
2016 Toronto International Film Festival

*BEST OF FEST*
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=f5e793a219&e=ff605d7ab9>
2017 Palm Springs International Film Festival
UPCOMING ABACUS SCREENINGS
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=7dd281e81d&e=ff605d7ab9>
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=a0fd340b03&e=ff605d7ab9>
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=8906be12d5&e=ff605d7ab9>
<http://www.abacusmovie.com>

*PBS DISTRIBUTION*, *FRONTLINE* and *ITVS* present a *MITTEN MEDIA*, *MOTTO
PICTURES*, and *KARTEMQUIN FILMS PRODUCTION*
 "*ABACUS: SMALL ENOUGH TO JAIL*"    edited by *JOHN FARBROTHER*, *DAVID E.
SIMPSON*    music by *JOSHUA ABRAMS*    cinematographer *TOM BERGMANN*
    co-producers *FENELL DOREMUS*, *NICK VERBITSKY*    executive
producers *GORDON
QUINN*,*CHRISTOPHER CLEMENTS*, *BETSY STEINBERG*, *JUSTINE NAGAN*, *RANEY
ARONSON*, *SALLY JO FIFER*    produced by *MARK MITTEN*, *JULIE GOLDMAN*
directed by *STEVE JAMES*
*Copyright © 2017 Kartemquin, All rights reserved.*
Thank you for signing up for updates for ABACUS: TOO SMALL TO JAIL.

*Our mailing address is:*
Kartemquin
1901 W Wellington Ave, Chicago, IL
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1901+W+Wellington+Ave,+Chicago,+IL&entry=gmail&source=g>
Chicago, IL 60657

Add us to your address book
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/vcard?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=7aff2ddc67>

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/profile?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=7aff2ddc67&e=ff605d7ab9>
or unsubscribe from this list
<http://kartemquin.us6.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=6c9727a4e5950c6549af64398&id=7aff2ddc67&e=ff605d7ab9&c=b1869d64cd>